Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Heards Pond - Wayland


I met Andy at 5pm at Heards. Hot - at 5pm it was still in the high 80's and humid. Conditions seemed perfect. Right away I caught a Largemouth using the black willow blade spinnerbait.
Then, for nearly an hour no hits. The pond is very weedy. I kept throwing the willow blade and a dressed Mepps #5 the entire time. I caught maybe 8 Crappie and a couple of small White Perch on the #5! Andy also did well with the Crappie. He also landed a few small Bass.
As we fished the back side I threw my Mepps far into open water and received a massive strike. I pulled in this nice Pike (pic). A great battle against the drag (12# test)
Before the trip was out, I ended up landing a really nice Pickerel, my PB this year for sure. I actually thought it was another Northern until he got right to the boat.