Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Assabet River - Ben Smith Dam - Maynard


I revisited the Ben Smith Dam today. Same time, same place. This time I tied on a small green Zarra Spook and danced it through the current. Everything seemed to nip at it. I ended up catching 3 small large mouth. One was large enough to pull some drag but still less than a foot. Please let me remind you that I’m on an ultralight. After 15 or so casts I reverted to the black and Silver Rooster Tail #1/8oz.
Casting just under the waterfall in the whitewater was just enough to land another big Fallfish. This one still had some red/pink colors in it’s head and gills. Before I headed out I took about 3 or 4 casts in the same exact spot, something was hitting my spinner in the same spot every time. On my last cast a small Pickerel chased it and managed to hook himself pretty good. (Pictured) Notice the black stripe near it’s eye, a tell tale sign of a Pickerel.
The difference between a Pickerel, Pike, & Musky

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/dfwpdf/dfw_esocidsposter.pdf